Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Do One Nice Thing

I came across this website in my Reader's Digest Magazine. It's a pretty amazing website. I've always wanted to do some sort of donation or give to people that are in need of help. But I haven't really taken the time or found something that was so simple.

Here's the article that I read that drew me into looking at the ladies website and now doing "One Nice Thing".

Debbie Tenzer got tired of hearing friends bemoan the state of the world. "Instead of worrying about big problems I couldn't solve, I decided to look for the small ones I could solve," says Tenzer, 55. Now, every Monday on her website, doonenicething.com, she recommends a good deed and profiles people who do them.

She's onto something: Not only has her "kindness movement" attracted followers in 90 countries since 2005, but recent studies show that giving to others releases the hormone oxytocin, a natural joy booster and stress buster.


There are some very simple (cheap) ways to give on her website. Some as simple as just writing a letter to an injured soldier.

I also found this one tonight that I plan on mailing to:

Mail a packet of flower seeds to BARN, a transitional home for homeless women and their children in Virginia. BARN teaches skills to the mothers so they can get back on their feet.

Your little packet of seeds will give the families a fun project to do. Growing flowers together will give them a lift, and instill a sense of pride in their home.


Mail to:
Barn
Sister Glenna Smith, OSB
9541 Linton Hall Rd
Bristow, VA 20136

How hard is that? Plus, you could get the seeds at the dollar store and send more than one packet of seeds to them.

Check out the website - www.doonenicething.com - click on "Ideas" on the right and she gives you new ideas every Monday. You don't have to have money to do some of these and you don't have spend all day doing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment