Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oven-Barbecued Chicken

I found this recipe and we love it so much that I make it once a week! There is nothing better than making your BBQ Sauce from scratch. You can tailor it to your own taste and that is awesome. It was my first time making BBQ sauce - I have a hard time finding BBQ sauce at the store without High Fructose Corn Syrup in it so making this from scratch means it's healthy.


 Oven-Barbecued Chicken

2 to 2 1/2 lbs meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks), skinned -- I use the breast halves because they have the most meat on them
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, chopped (1/2 Cup)
1 Clove Garlic, minced -- I use already minced garlic
3/4 Cup Bottled Chili Sauce -- I couldn't find any without high fructose corn syrup so I ended up using RedHot Wings sauce Original and it works great.
2 Tablespoons Honey
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoons Yellow Mustard
1/2 Teaspoon Prepared Horseradish -- I found this at Trader Joes and it'll last awhile in the fridge.
1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375*F. Arrange chicken pieces, bone sides up, in an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baked dish. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until tender. Stir in chili sauce, honey, soy sauce, mustard, horseradish, and red pepper; heat through.

3. Turn chicken, bone sides down. Brush half of sauce over chicken. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Reheat remaining sauce until boiling; serve with chicken. Makes 4 servings.


My Changes:

1. I add extra honey to my sauce - I no longer measure the ingredients. You can add other things if you want.
2. I brush BOTH sides of the chicken with the BBQ sauce instead of just the top. I think it makes it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment