Friday, May 28, 2010

Anti-Sunburn Foods

Saw this in a magazine and with summer coming soon (hopefully) I thought it would be a good thing to post. I still strongly believe you should always wear sunscreen but it probably wouldn't hurt to add these foods into your summer diet.

I myself have put my skin through A LOT of damage from the sun over the years. Within the last two years I have been a massive sunscreen wearer. After more sunburns then I can count, freckles that have developed in the last 6 years, and moles that have started to change colors....I've realized that I am just setting myself up for skin cancer. Plus, in 2008 I had to have a mole removed to be checked for cancer and the doctor cut a huge hole out of my back. Since I don't do pain or blood I'd like to not have a repeat of that LOL!

Here's the article:

To avoid looking like a steamed lobster this summer, don't forget the sunscreen. But also be sure to eat lots of brightly colored fruits and vegetables, recommends Dr. Howard Murad, a dermatologist and founder of the Murad Inclusive Health Medical Group in El Segundo, California.

"With fruits and vegetables you're protecting your skin from the inside," Murad says. "It's easy to remember. Look at a rainbow and eat raw foods of those colors. These foods encourage the body's own response to help heal from sun damage."

Three to four servings a day of apricots, pomegranates, broccoli, and tomatoes boost the immune system and help prevent damage from free radicals caused by sun exposure. Green tea helps, too. Fruits and vegetables also hydrate your skin, making it more resistant to drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment