Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ground Turkey and Hominy

So I needed a new recipe that used ground turkey meat. I used my allrecipes.com app on my iPad and found this recipe. However, I didn't have hominy and I didn't know what it was so I looked it up and it's sort of like corn kernals but not haha. Anyways, I just used frozen corn instead and added black beans.

I've made this twice now the first time I added rice to Chad's bowl and noodles to mine. Last night when I made it we ate it in burrito shells.


Ground Turkey and Hominy
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Servings: 8

1 1/2 LBS Ground Turkey - I just use two packages of Foster Farms Ground Turkey Breast
1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes, undrained - I skipped this one.
1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Mustard
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Large Onion, Chopped - I skipped this too
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
2 Cans Hominy - I subbed with a bag of frozen corn
2 Cans Black Beans (drained and rinsed) - The original recipe doesn't call for this but I add black beans whenever I can.

In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings; heat through. Add hominy and heat through.

I don't drain mine and I add the seasonings while the meat is still raw so the seasonings cook into the meat. Once the meat is no longer pink I add the frozen corn and drained and rinsed black beans; cover and heat until corn is no longer frozen. Roughly 5 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment