Saturday, August 6, 2011

Pizza Monkey Bread

I got this recipe HERE and couldn't wait to have a reason to make it. So on Tuesday I made it for Devin and Cameron for dinner. They said it was good but regular monkey bread is better! Kids!!! I didn't get to try it because for some reason I didn't buy enough dough. Next time!

The recipe was for Pepperoni pizza only. I added mushrooms, ground turkey sausage and olives too. You could add whatever you'd like to this recipe. I also didn't do each little ball the same. That way there was variety.

I apparently didn't take any pictures when it was done cooking before the boys ate it - oops! Next time I make it I will add a finish picture to this post. You can however, click the link above and see the images on the food blog I got the recipe from.

Pizza Monkey Bread

You can take the long route and make your favorite pizza dough and marinara sauce, or the short route and pick up your favorite pizza dough and red sauce from the store.

2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (I used already chopped garlic)
4 Tbsp butter
2 lbs pizza dough (I bought Pillsbury Pizza Dough)
6 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes (you'll need ~48 pieces)
48 slices of Turkey pepperoni (from 1 package)
2-3 cups marinara sauce, warmed, for serving


1.Heat garlic and butter over medium heat just until the garlic begins to brown. Remove from heat and let sit.

2.Lightly brush the inside of a bundt pan (or other oven-safe dish) with garlic butter.

3.Pull off large marble-sized balls of dough and flatten (a kitchen scale makes this very easy). Top with a slice of pepperoni and a cube of mozzarella.

4.Wrap the dough around the pepperoni and cheese, pinching well to seal.

5.Very lightly brush the pizza ball with garlic butter and place into the bundt pan (I dabbed the pizza balls on a butter-dipped silicon brush to keep butter use low - there will be 1+ Tbsp leftover - and my hands butter free. Buttery hands make it hard to get the pizza balls to seal).

6.Repeat until all of the dough is used.

7.Cover and let sit for 30 minutes, while preheating the oven to 400.

8.Bake for ~35 minutes, until the top is very brown.

9.Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.

10.Turn out onto a platter and serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment