I had some halibut in the fridge and wanted to fry it but didn't want it to be an unhealthy fried fish SO I found this recipe which seemed pretty harmless. We ended up loving it. It's not too greasy.
Secret Fried Halibut
Prep Time: 10 Mins
Total Time: 35 Mins
1 Medium Halibut Fillets (Approx. 3lbs)
2 Cups White Flour
1 Tablespoon Seasoning Salt
1 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder or Salt
1 Pinch Onion Powder
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard (or to taste)
6 Tablespoons Olive Oil (or any oil you'd like to use)
1. Cut halibut into portion size pieces and set aside.
2. In a gallon ziplock bag combine all dry ingredients; seal bag and shake to mix.
3. In small bowl combine mayonnaise and mustard; mix thoroughly (this is the secret ingredient).
4. Add some oil to the skillet over medium heat until oil begins to ripple. You will need to add more oil in small amounts at a time throughout cooking.
5. Add halibut a few pieces at a time to skillet until full. DO NOT OVERLAP FISH. Cook until just beginning to brown on the bottom side and flip. Once turned, lightly baste browned side of fish with mayonnaise mixture. Turn fish once more and repeat basting. The key to this step is to re brown basted sides of fish before removing from pan. The pieces should turn a deep brown (not black but close). That is when you know they are done.
6. Serve while still hot. (May be kept in warm oven until all fish is done).
**I didn't have seasoning salt so I just used sea salt and added other seasonings such as chili powder.